Friday, September 13, 2013

Grow it! Cook it! Eat it! Live it!

Last week I started a new blog series to highlight one recipe a week with ingredients that are grown locally.  I would like to thank my two fellow bloggers for linking up with me last week.  Please check out their blogs: Mark's Veg Plot and An Oregon's Cottage.   Last week I highlighted fajitas cooked on the fire while Mark highlighted braised beef in tomato sauce and Jami posted two great salsa recipes.  Please be sure to link up this week with a recipe of your own.  I find these links the best way to find new blogs with similar interests are you and a great way to have new people find you!  I participate in 3 other series:  Monday Harvest over at Daphne's Dandelions, Tuesday Garden Party at An Oregon's Cottage and Saturday Spotlight at Suburban Tomato.  

I'm posting this weeks Grow it! Cook it! Eat it! Live it! early because I will be away tomorrow competing in the provincial championships of disc golf.  Disc golf is another one of my hobbies, if you have not heard of the sport it is played similar to golf but with small discs instead of a ball and club.  Check out more info about it on the wiki.


Ok so on with my recipe for this week.  This week I made Thai beef salad.  Its a great dish to make at the end of the week when you haven't shopped in a while and have odds and ends.  GMF pulled out some beef tenderloin that had been frozen in Kobi beef marinade (often I make my own asian marinade with soya sauce, peanut butter, sesame oil, honey and salt and pepper).  I sliced it really really thin with my ceramic knife (if you haven't tried ceramic knives yet you should I LOVE them!).  I then sautéed the beef quickly in a little oil and sat off to the side.  I then cut up whatever veg I have on hand (this time I picked a cherry bomb pepper, cayenne pepper, cajun bell pepper, some broccoli and a carrot from the garden and I had a yellow bell pepper and an onion in the fridge.)  I sautéed these veg with a little soya sauce, sesame oil and salt and pepper.  I also sautéed some been sprouts (GMF thinks its crazy that I like bean sprouts so much, but they are so yummy).  I cooked up some chow mein noodles and then sauteed them with soya sauce, sesame oil, honey and salt and pepper.  I then add the beef and all the veg and toss.  Serve with some spinach leaves chopped, lots of cilantro and sesame seeds for garnish.  Depending on your spice level you can add some chili garlic paste (I added my homemade hot sauce) and here is the finished product!






1 comment:

  1. Hope your golf went well, I have never heard of disc golf, dont think we have here. Your dish looks scrummy. Ive heaps of coriander at the moment.

    ReplyDelete