Monday, July 5, 2021

July Garden Update - Peppers A lesson in patience.

 

I feel like the garden is growing very slowly this year.  The patience required for a garden is hard but I am enjoying the process.  I think part of the reason the peppers are going slowly is because of the cold snap they faced after planting.  In this first picture (left to right) are rows of zinnias that I started from seed and transplanted into the rows that the carrots and parsnip failed seeds were in.  As you can see there are a couple flowers already on these - so pretty.  Next is the bell peppers, California wonder in the front and snack pepper in the back.  I picked up some celosia and other plants at the grocery for 50 cents each - score!  I spread the celosia throughout the veg garden.
Next up are the shishito peppers and Bangkok peppers which have both set flowers (I've stopped picking the flowers off now).  The mad hatter pepper plant (centre back) is the largest currently.  On the left is two ring of fire cayenne peppers and a single jalapeƱo plant (which already has fruit - I missed clipping the flowers off of these early to promote bigger plant growth first).   You can also my hockey player gnome friend hanging out, and some marigolds to deter pests.

Next up are the habaneros (middle of this pic).  As you can see they are very slow to grow.  This is sad as these are my favourite type of pepper.  I'm hopeful they will pick up soon. I have also moved two of the four habanero plants to containers.  They seem to be doing a much better.  On the right of the photo are my super hots.  The front is the ghost pepper and the back is the armageddon.  They are both doing quite well and I can't wait to try the armageddon - they are supposed to be a sweet slow heat like the habanero but much hotter.


Alrighty so thats a wrap up on the process of my peppers.  I'll be posting about my tomatillos and tomatoes soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment