Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Garden update - Tomatoes and Tomatillos

 Good morning everyone. I am here to show you the process on my tomatoes and tomatillos As you can see they have grown huge already.  The tomatoes are on the right and the tomatillos on the left.  The tomatoes are bursting out of their tomato cages.  Next year I need to try a Florida weave for my tomatoes as these cages are just too small for indeterminate types and do not work well.  If you look closely you can see a couple of the beefsteak tomatoes started.  The sweet million and midnight snack have a couple of tiny fruit started and some flowers but not much action on that front yet.  

On the right is my tomatillo plants.  These grew quickly as well and have set a bunch of fruit already.  I also learned that they are self sterile and you need to have at least two plants so they can pollinate the flowers.   


I moved two of these plants into containers as well as I quickly noticed that I had planted these way to close together in the actual beds.  There of the 4 of these plants are showing some distress but still setting flowers and fruit.  They have some leaves which are yellowing and curling. I'm not sure what the issue is, it seems to happen most on the upper leaves and the lower leaves seem healthy.  I'm going to fertilize and hope they are ok.

Look at how pretty the flowers are! 

Once the flowers are done they form a lovely husk lantern.  These are very similar to a Chinese lantern flower and are so special looking. Once the husk is formed then the fruit starts its life inside the protective husk.  Apparently they are ready to harvest when they start bursting out of the husk and the husk starts drying.  I can't wait!

Have you grown tomatillos before?  Are you growing anything new this year that you haven't grown before?  Tell me about that in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment