Sunday, September 8, 2013

Hot Sauce!!!

The moment has come.  I have been so excited about making my own hot sauce since I planted my peppers in the spring.  And now that I've made some I realized I could have done it a while ago because it doesn't take anywhere near as many hot peppers as I thought.  So I went out and picked a bunch of red Cayennes, a cherry bomb, a couple habaneros and a banana pepper (Not all for the hot sauce, I also made some more quick pickled peppers).

I decided I wanted a depth of flavour to my hot sauce so I would use some bell pepper, onion and garlic as well.  I chopped up 1 yellow bell pepper, 1 cajun bell, 1/3 of a large spanish onion, 1 habanero (seeds removed), about 12 cayenne peppers and crushed 6 garlic cloves.  I sautéed all of this in the wok until soft. (Important hint - make sure the vent fan is running at full whack or you start to breath in too much hot pepper fumes).
For the liquid I used 1/4 cup of water, 1/4 cup of white vinegar and 1/8 cup of sugar (this liquid was left over after making my quick pickled peppers).  I blended the sautéed mixture and the liquid using the liquifying mode on my blender.  After a quick taste I was blown away at the heat, a little too much for us.  So I added 1 jar of roasted red peppers (I know a cheat but I had it on hand).  Then blended some more.  This made it taste delicious, still very spicy and also flavourful.  I then strained this liquid into a small pan (to remove the cayenne seeds and any skins that didn't get broken up).  The sauce then simmered and reduce to about 1/3-1/4 of its original volume to thicken it.  I poured the sauce into a decorative olive oil jar that I had on hand and put the rest in a mason jar to cool.  I will freeze the amount in the mason jar for later.  I couldn't believe that I only used a dozen cayenne peppers.  I have hundreds on the plants as seen in the picture below of the finished product!

I'm going to make sooo much hot sauce.  I've got to get some woozy jars to put it in though.  Does anyone know a good source to get these in Canada?

No comments:

Post a Comment